RIVERTON, Wyo. (AP) â¿¿ U.S. Energy Corp, which explores for metals and owns stakes in oil and gas properties, said Monday that Thompson Creek Metals Co. has decided not to buy a stake in the company's Mount Emmons molybdenum deposit in Colorado.
Molybdenum is used in strengthening steel.
Thompson Creek said it has more immediate development priorities to focus on. U.S. Energy said that it is disappointed with Thompson Creek's decision, but is committed to moving the project forward and will reach out to other potential partners.
""Looking forward, we will be reaching out to the Chinese, who have expressed an interest in the project in the past," said U.S. Energy CEO Keith Larsen. "They tend to have a longer term view regarding resource inventory."The plan to search for molybdenum at an old mining site in Gunnison County, near the ski resort town of Crested Butte, was opposed for years by a local conservation group. The site had been mined for silver, lead and zinc, and a series of owners have been looking for molybdenum there since the 1970s. U.S. Energy said in January that it was years away from doing any mining. Shares of U.S. Energy fell 29 cents, or 4.7 percent, to $5.83 in afternoon trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV