FINDING THE "SIDE DOOR"
If the above avenues don't work, it may be that you lack the appropriate skills or background to land an interview. In this case, you may need to find what we call the "side door." This is explained in the following excerpt from The Google Resume:
"How do you get into Google? Work for Microsoft (MSFT)," Jason, a Microsoft Program Manager, jokes. As much as this comment may have been said in jest, it has some truth to it. The best way into company or role may be an indirect path.
In addition to joining one company so that you can eventually transfer to another, you may want to consider joining your dream company in a less-than-dream job. Technical recruiter Barry Kwok points out that a role like an Office Manager at a start-up can be an easier avenue into the tech world for those who lack specific qualifications.
"At a start-up, office managers do everything under the sun," Kwok explains. "As the company grows, you can begin to specialize in an area like HR. Couple that with an additional night course or two in HR, and all of a sudden you're the perfect candidate for a full-time HR position."Contract roles can transition into full-time roles, program managers can move into marketing, and start-up employees can pivot to major companies. Being flexible with what jobs you'll take, and being creative in pursuing them, is the key to landing jobs with the major tech companies. -- Written by Gayle Laakmann McDowell for CNBC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV