Kimberly-Clark said higher costs for materials like wood pulp led to an 8.9% decline in quarterly earnings, and the maker of Huggies diapers and Kleenex tissues will once again look to pass on those higher costs to consumers.
Disappointed investors bid Kimberly-Clark shares 3% lower to $64.04 at midday Monday amid heavier-than-normal volume. Around 4.2 million shares changed hands less than halfway through the day's session, compared with their average daily volume of just 2.6 million.
Kimberly-Clark now expects costs this year to be nearly double its previous expectations, and it cut its 2011 profit outlook by 10 cents per share to a range of $4.80 to $5.05. Costs are expected to increase between $450 million to $550 million in 2011, compared with its prior estimate for cost increase assumptions between $200 and $250 million. Price increases on most of Kimberly-Clark's products -- and a weaker dollar -- should help pad the company's top-line however, and the company raised its sales growth forecast to a range of 4% to 6%, up from 3% to 4%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV