NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Grains prices were popping as weather concerns for corn and wheat plantings rose.
Wheat for July delivery was popping 2.2% to $8.53 ¼ a bushel, while July corn was up 1.9% to $7.58 ¾ a bushel. Soybean for July delivery was falling 0.2% to $13.87 ½ a bushel, after rising earlier, as supply pressure took hold. iPath Dow Jones-UBS Grains Subindex Total Return ETN (JJG) was rising 1.2% to $55.86 and the Teucrium Corn Fund (CORN) was gaining1.5% to $46.52.
The July sugar contract was falling 1.9% to 23.36 cents a pound.
"We are now in a full blown weather market after the three-day holiday weekend with heavy rains seen delaying corn plantings across the Midwest, while dry areas across the globe are raising concerns about global wheat production," a Benson Quinn Commodities report noted.Soybeans, the report said, "are along for the ride. The U.S. Department of Agriculture said net soybean export sales of 349,000 metric tons were "up noticeably" in the week of April 21, from the previous week , and from the prior four-week average. Meanwhile, a Penson Futures report cautions that soybean support from weather in Brazil is "in danger of becoming irrelevant" as agricultural consultant Safras e Mercado estimates the current soybean harvest to be at 92% vs. 93% last year and 86% on average. Furthermore, a Benson Quinn report notes that the harvest in Argentina continues, while the outlook in the U.S. points to more acres for soybean plantings due to corn planting delays. Soybeans are being "pressured from ongoing harvest activity in South America and the cheaper grain it is making available," said MaxYield Cooperative analyst Karl Setzer.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV