DETROIT (TheStreet) -- The origin of the acclaimed Chrysler 200 Super Bowl came during a speech two months earlier at the Los Angeles Auto Show, said Chrysler CEO Olivier Francois.
In an interview with TheStreet at the New York Auto Show last week, Francois was asked whether he was involved in the creation of the ad, which featured Eminem.
"You can't be more involved," he responded.
Francois recalled his presentation speech for the 200 in Los Angeles. "L.A. is an import market, " he said. "Presenting an American D segment (large family) sedan in Los Angeles is very challenging. And I had to plead the [case] that it's as good as an import. It's imported from Detroit." Once the concept was embedded, Francois wanted to use Eminem music as part of the soundtrack. This led to discussions with Eminem, in which the possibility of the music star's appearance in the ad was broached. The 200 is a big deal for Chrysler, Francois said, because midsize sedans represent a major segment in the U.S. auto industry, with about two million sales annually. The 200 competes with GM's (GM) Chevrolet Malibu, which had its introduction last week at the New York and Shanghai auto shows, as well as the Ford (F) Fusion, Toyota's (TM) Camry and Honda (HMC) Accord.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV