A.P. Pharma, Inc. (OTCQB: APPA), a specialty pharmaceutical company, today provided an update on its lead product candidate, APF530, for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting (CINV).
Company management and consultants met with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) on March 31, 2011 to discuss certain aspects of the Complete Response Letter issued by the FDA for the APF530 New Drug Application (NDA). This meeting followed an earlier meeting held with the FDA in February 2011 to discuss clinical and clinical pharmacology issues raised in the Complete Response Letter.
“A.P. Pharma has had two productive meetings with the FDA, which have helped clarify the work needed to resubmit the APF530 NDA,” said John Whelan, A.P. Pharma’s president and chief executive officer. “Based on our discussions with the FDA and our assessment of the work remaining, we expect to resubmit the APF530 NDA during the first half of 2012.”
At the March meeting, the Company presented information concerning the product dosing system for APF530 and the characterization and manufacture of APF530. The primary topics discussed with the FDA are described below:
- The Company proposed replacing its former, two-syringe dosing system with a new, single-syringe system it has developed over the past year. The Company believes that the new system offers significant safety and convenience advantages over the old system. The FDA acknowledged that the single-syringe design would be an improvement, suggested certain labeling enhancements, and requested additional, non-clinical, human factors studies be conducted prior to resubmission.
- The FDA agreed to the Company’s plan to switch to terminal sterilization of the filled product syringes.
- The Company presented additional characterization data, analytical data and revised specifications for APF530 and its constituent materials. Previously, the FDA suggested a bioavailability study would be necessary to compare materials manufactured at two separate manufacturing sites. Based on the discussions with the FDA, the Company does not see a need for a bioavailability study at this time.
- The FDA clarified which assays will be required for controlling the manufacture and quality of APF530. The Company plans to make and analyze additional lots of APF530 prior to resubmission.
- Based on the February meeting with the FDA, the Company plans to conduct a clinical study that will serve as both a thorough QT study and a metabolism study. The FDA agreed that these studies could be combined into a single study conducted in healthy volunteers.
- Also at the February meeting, the FDA indicated that the revised presentation format for the pivotal Phase 3 clinical data was acceptable for resubmission and did not request any additional efficacy studies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV