Renaissance Learning Inc. Stock Downgraded (RLRN)
- RENAISSANCE LEARNING INC' earnings per share from the most recent quarter came in slightly below the year earlier quarter. This company has reported somewhat volatile earnings recently. But, we feel it is poised for EPS growth in the coming year. During the past fiscal year, RENAISSANCE LEARNING INC increased its bottom line by earning $0.82 versus $0.68 in the prior year. This year, the market expects an improvement in earnings ($0.84 versus $0.82).
- RLRN has no debt to speak of therefore resulting in a debt-to-equity ratio of zero, which we consider to be a relatively favorable sign. Even though the company has a strong debt-to-equity ratio, the quick ratio of 0.29 is very weak and demonstrates a lack of ability to pay short-term obligations.
- The gross profit margin for RENAISSANCE LEARNING INC is currently very high, coming in at 79.90%. Regardless of RLRN's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, RLRN's net profit margin of 16.40% is significantly lower than the same period one year prior.
- The change in net income from the same quarter one year ago has exceeded that of the Software industry average, but is less than that of the S&P 500. The net income has decreased by 5.0% when compared to the same quarter one year ago, dropping from $5.78 million to $5.49 million.
- Looking at the price performance of RLRN's shares over the past 12 months, there is not much good news to report: the stock is down 25.59%, and it has underformed the S&P 500 Index. In addition, the company's earnings per share are lower today than the year-earlier quarter. Naturally, the overall market trend is bound to be a significant factor. However, in one sense, the stock's sharp decline last year is a positive for future investors, making it cheaper (in proportion to its earnings over the past year) than most other stocks in its industry. But due to other concerns, we feel the stock is still not a good buy right now.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Portfolio Manager Jim Cramer and Director of Research Jack Mohr reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
David Peltier uncovers low dollar stocks with serious upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
David Peltier identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.