iPath S&P 500 VIX Short Term Futures ETN (VXX) -9.6%
The week started out on a jittery note after S&P announced that it had downgraded its U.S. debt outlook to negative. The weakness, however, was short-lived, and investors quickly regained confidence as they watched popular firms such as Apple (AAPL) and General Electric (GE) report strong earnings.
In response to investor resilience, the fear-based VIX ETNs suffered heavy losses. VXX has given back all of the gains it witnessed during the opening months of the year and is currently back to trading at all time lows.iShares Dow Jones U.S. Regional Banks Index Fund (IAT) -1.8% The financial industry struggled this week and the smaller, more volatile regional banks proved to be the most notable laggards. IAT captures a diverse basket of these regional players including US Bancorp (USB), SunTrust (STI) and Fifth Third Bancorp (FITB). The fund has been on an uninterrupted downward path since testing its 50-day moving average at the start of April. Written by Don Dion in Williamstown, Mass.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV