Mattel alleged copyright infringement claims against privately-held MGA Entertainment over the Bratz Dolls -- which debuted in 2001, and have sold at least $3.3 billion worth of products, generating more than $292 million in profits -- but a federal court jury rejected Mattel's allegations.
The jury awarded Mattel no damages, finding that it did not successfully prove that it owned the idea, nor any of the sketches that led to the development of the Bratz line of dolls.
MGA also did not steal trade secrets, the jury found.
In a Santa Ana, Calif., court Thursday, MGA CEO Isaac Larian "openly cried," according to reports, as the 28-page verdict was read.The claims alleged that Bratz designer Carter Bryant conceived of the Bratz doll idea while working at Mattel, and later implemented it when working for MGA. A federal jury awarded Mattel $100 million two years ago, finding that Bryant did develop the Bratz idea while working for Mattel, but the verdict was overturned and the case sent back for a retrial.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV