Same-store sales -- or sales at stores open at least one year, a closely watched metric in the restaurant industry -- rose 4.2% globally last quarter, McDonald's said. The line item grew 2.9% in the U.S., 5.7% in Europe, and 3.2% in Asia, the Middle East and Africa.
McDonald's Japan said comps fell 7.3% due to restaurant closings following the catastrophic earthquake and tsunami that hit the nation on March 11.
McDonald's spokeswoman Heidi Barker said more than 50 restaurant locations in Japan remained closed as of April 14. Reports late last month showed that all but 88 McDonald's Japan locations had reopened.
Yum! Brands said Wednesday that strong growth in China and other global markets helped offset softer demand in the U.S. Its same-store sales soared 13% in China last quarter and 2% in other international regions, but declined 1% in the U.S. (CMG) beat first-quarter profit expectations with earnings of $46.4 million, or $1.46 per share. Chipotle's same-store sales jumped 12.4%, boosted by an increase in customer visits.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV