Payden Fund Scours Emerging Markets
(Editor's note: TheStreet today named 111 mutual funds and exchange traded funds, or ETFs, winners and runners-up in its first annual awards ceremony. A list of the funds and related articles can be found on the awards page.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Worried that rising interest rates could punish bonds, investors have been dumping some fixed-income funds in recent months. During the first quarter of this year, intermediate-term bond funds had outflows of $4.8 billion, while intermediate-term government funds lost $5.9 billion.
But not all bond funds have lost assets. Among the gainers are emerging market bond funds, which have attracted $2.5 billion. Solid returns have been attracting investors. During the past three years, emerging bond funds have gained 7.7% annually, compared to a return of 5.8% for the Barclays Capital Aggregate Bond Index.
To participate in emerging markets, consider Payden Emerging Markets Bond (PYEMX). In the three years through Dec. 31, the fund returned 9.3% annually. Taking into account lower-than-average risks, the fund won TheStreet's 2011 Best Mutual Fund award in the fixed-income emerging markets category. This year, Payden Emerging Markets Bond is up 1.1%. The runner-up is TCW Emerging Markets Income Fund (TGEIX).
|Kristin Ceva: buying big in Brazil and Russia|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV