Gold saw speculative longs stay flat while short positions grew 8%.
George Gero, senior vice president at RBC Capital Markets, believes that silver's rally is not only short covering but also repositioning by traders ahead of options expiration next week. There are also "a lot of momentum traders after highs." Gold prices have also been subject to this rebalancing.
The medium term snag for gold and silver, however, comes in June when the Federal Reserve's quantitative easing program comes to an end. Next week the Fed will meet and no changes to interest rates are expected, but the market will be listening for hints on whether monetary policy will be tighter or loser in the future.
Steve Ayer, managing director and partner at HighTower's Strata Wealth Management, believes that the Fed will have no choice but to continue a lose money policy by either QE3 or by reinvesting its profits from QE2."
|More on Gold Gold Price News|
|How to Invest in Gold|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Alix Steel. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/adsteel. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV