The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
By Hilary Kramer, InvestorPlace.com
NEW YORK (InvestorPlace) -- Since the financial crisis, the IPO market has been a yawn. But as the equities markets improved over the last six months, investors have been warming-up to public offerings.
In some cases, the returns have been stunning. Just last week, the car-sharing service, Zipcar (ZIP), saw its shares spike 56% on its first-day of trading. Some other hot ones include Qihoo 360 Technology (QIHU), Dangdang (DANG) and Youku (YOKU). All have posted 100%+ returns.
ServiceSource IPOFounded in the late 1990s, ServiceSource (SREV) has been able to build a solid business. ServiceSource helps companies manage their revenue streams, such as from renewals, maintenance and subscription agreements. The fact is that this can be a difficult process. But to make things easier, ServiceSource has developed a suite of cloud-based technologies to automate things. Yet the company also realizes that it needs to provide high-end services. The ServiceSource platform is a global offering, which is translated into over 30 languages. It also is available for a variety of industries like technology, life sciences and healthcare. From 2008 to 2010, revenue increased from $100.3 million to $152.9 million. Thus, ServiceSource trades at about 5 times revenue. While this may seem pricey, it is actually much cheaper than other cloud operators. Consider that Salesforce.com is trading 10 times revenue and SuccessFactors (SFSF) is selling at a 14 multiple.
GNC Holdings IPOOf course, GNC Holdings (GNC) is a leading specialty retailer for health and wellness products. On a global basis, it is a dominant player, with over 7,200 locations. Actually, the company is 12 times larger than its next largest rival.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV