By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
The name doesn't see much option trading, usually about 140 contracts per session. But on Wednesday OptionMonster's tracking systems spotted the purchase of a single block of 10,000 December 16 calls for 75 cents against no open interest.
The company, which is based in the Netherlands but operates in the former Soviet Union, rose 0.85% Wednesday to close at $14.29. The stock has been stuck around the $14 level all year but seems to be building support around current levels.The shares are cheap by some metrics, with a forward price-to-earnings ratio of less than 10 times and earnings and revenue more than twice that amount. Traders may also be drawn to the stock because of a bullish earnings report from Luxembourg-based Millicom (MICC) a day earlier and the recent strength in among emerging markets in general. Total calls in the name outnumbered puts by some 390 to 1 Wednesday. VimpelCom also saw some noteworthy put selling last month, another sign of support for the stock. For the calls purchased Wednesday to turn a profit, VimpelCom's stock must gain more than 17% by the time they expire in mid-December. The company's next earnings report is scheduled for May 26. Russell has no positions in VIP.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV