Crate & Barrel
Speaking of wine and cheese, Crate & Barrel's similar scanning-and-scarfing registry events have made it also hugely popular in the wedding world. Roughly 26% of all couples registered there last year, up from 24% in 2009.
Bridal brunches -- they let couples scan items into registries while busying themselves with little waffles made in store-sold waffle irons, breakfast sandwiches cooked in straight-from-the-shelf Cuisinart Griddlers and champagne-spiked mimosas mixed in glassware available in the catalog -- have only increased the store's appeal. A completion program that offers 10% off the price of registry items after the wedding -- which Knot and WeddingChannel registrants said was their No. 1 motivation for picking a retailer's registry -- doesn't hurt either.
If there's any downside to Crate & Barrel's success, it's that -- according to Eisinger's findings -- the average Crate & Barrel registrant tends to be a bit more wizened than his or her coupled counterparts. That maturity brings a bit more expendable income with it, but it also means the low-end, post-collegiate cheap stuff that helps broaden price selection is mostly missing from the crates and barrels.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV