American Airlines' Loss Shrinks
An earlier version of this American Airlines earnings story incorrectly reported that American is the only U.S. carrier expected to report a first-quarter loss. Most airlines are expected to report a first-quarter loss; American is the one airline expected to report a loss for the full year.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Battling soaring fuel costs, a nasty winter and expectations as one of many U.S. carriers to post a loss for the first quarter, American Airlines parent AMR (AMR) reported better-than-expected earnings -- a narrower loss -- Wednesday morning.
Excluding items, American reported a loss of $405 million, or $1.21 a share, compared with the $1.32 consensus loss expected by analysts. American reported a loss of $452 million, or $1.36 a share in the year-ago period.
Despite a $351 million rise in year-over-year fuel expense, American reduced its net loss by $47 million.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/maggieoverfelt. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV