SAN FRANCISCO (TheStreet) - Wells Fargo's (WFC) continued credit quality improvement enabled the company to release $1 billion in reserves during the first quarter, boosting earnings and following the trend for the largest U.S. banks that had already reported earnings.
The company's net charge-offs -- loan losses less recoveries -- fell for the fifth-straight quarter to $3.2 billion, a 16% decline from the previous quarter and a 40% decline from a year earlier. The company's annualized ratio of net charge-offs to average loans was 1.73%, improving from 2.02% in the fourth quarter and 2.71% in the first quarter of 2010. With loan loss reserves covering 2.98% of total loans as of March 31, it appeared the company was well-positioned for further reserve releases in coming quarters, which would continue to boost earnings.
|Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf|
Wells Fargo's reserve release was in line with the other "big four" U.S. banks, including
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV