BP Oil Spill Fuels Government Contracting
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The BP (BP) oil spill last year took its toll on small businesses along the Gulf Coast, but the federal government is also looking to increase contracting opportunities that could balance out the damage to some.
Exactly one year ago, the Deepwater Horizon oil rig used by BP exploded in the Gulf of Mexico, ultimately leaking some 5 billion barrels of oil into the surrounding waters, harming the ecosystem and the businesses and residents making their living off the waters.
|The befouling of the Gulf Coast by last year's BP oil spill opened opportunities for small businesses to contract with the U.S. government.|
According to the Small Business Administration, the disaster was a good reason to remind local businesses of the large amount of government contracting work in Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama.
The BP disaster was an "opportunity to
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV