Comrie's proposal had stricter health guidelines than San Francisco's. In doing so, he declared that "it's important to find a way to make a healthy lifestyle palatable and exciting."
Restaurants caught violating the ban, if it were passed in New York City, would face fines ranging between $200 and $2,500.
Comrie, a Democrat from Queens and self-described busy parent, says his motivation stems from personal guilt about his unhealthy eating habits and the fact that he has purchased many a Happy Meal for his own kids.
Comrie is overweight himself, and hopes the Fast Food Toy Ban Bill will pass, as it did in San Francisco."I am an example," he said. "If you look at me. I enjoy fast food and unhealthy eating."
McDonald's and the New York State Restaurant Association are likely not to take this battle lightly. "This proposal robs parents of choice while increasing the already burdensome regulation on local restaurant owners," said Andrew Rigie, executive vice president of the New York City Chapter of the New York Restaurant Association, according to a New York Times report. An executive for McDonald's New York region, Mason Smott, said that "taking away toys from kids' meals won't solve childhood obesity." "Our Happy Meals make it easier for families to choose the right foods in portions just for kids," Smoot said. "We provide options for our customers and trust them to make the decisions that are right for their families. Politicians should, too."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV