VANCOUVER, British Columbia, April 19, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Urban Barns Foods Inc. (URBF.OB) ("Company" or " Urban Barns"), a leading authority on sustainable development of fresh fruits and vegetables today released additional test results. The tests stemmed from the Company's planned acquisition of Non Industrial Manufacturing originally announced on March 8, 2011. This series of tests concerned power usage as compared to other forms of hydroponic growing technologies. The results lent yet further proof that Urban Barns' proprietary technology has significant economic value.
Mr. Jacob Benne, CEO of Urban Barns, stated that "We continue to exceed our own expectations. In this current round of tests we looked at power consumption and while we expected it to be lower than competing technologies, the results were markedly better than what we expected. The cost of electricity per plant grown, using an average of Canadian commercial rates, was less than a penny."
Mr. Dan Meikleham, Chairman and CFO of Urban Barns said, "We are highly conscious of the carbon footprint of our technology. These results go a long way toward a green solution to commercial scale food production. We plan to set a benchmark for environmental sustainability and be internationally recognized for high-quality agriculture methods. Our commitment is to supply food security and food traceability, while being environmentally aware.
Meikleham added, "Our vertical growing system is designed for the efficient use of water and energy. This cost-efficiency is central to our business model, enabling us to compete in major urban markets at home and abroad. Our goal is to utilize the technology to establish a number of income-based, strategically positioned food production facilities to grow food locally on a minimum carbon footprint."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV