MILWAUKEE (TheStreet) -- Harley-Davidson (HOG) said first-quarter earnings soared to $119.3 million, or 51 cents a share, from $33.3 million, or 14 cents a share, a year earlier as worldwide sales of motorcycles rose 3.5% and operating income at its financial division skyrocketed.
Harley-Davidson said operating income from financial services climbed 154.6% from a year earlier.
First-quarter revenue rose to $1.06 billion from $1.04 billion.
Analysts, on average, expected Harley-Davidson to earn 53 cents a share in the quarter."We are pleased by the growth of our dealers' new motorcycle sales on a worldwide basis, led by strength in Europe, even as we continue to encounter some headwinds in the U.S. related to the challenging macro-economic conditions," said Harley-Davidson President and CEO Keith Wandell, in a statement Tuesday. The motorcycle maker said it was "maintaining a cautious outlook for the year." The company said it expects to ship 215,000 to 228,000 Harley-Davidson motorcycles in 2011, compared to its prior shipment guidance of 221,000 to 228,000 motorcycles. The company said the move is related to "what it believes will be a modest level of supply chain interruption to the xompany arising from the March 11 earthquake and tsunami in Japan." In the second quarter, Harley-Davidson expects to ship 62,000 to 67,000 motorcycles. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV