NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Goldman Sachs (GS) was rising 1.7% to $156.32 in premarket trading Tuesday after earning $1.56 a share in the first quarter on revenue of $11.89 billion, well above analysts' earnings estimates of 82 cents a share and revenue forecasts of $10.22 billion.
The Milwaukee-based maker of water and gas meter products Badger Meter ( BMI) was plunging 11.4% to $33.55 after posting disappointing quarterly results with profits held back by weak orders, high copper prices and an unfavorable product mix.
Consumer and medical devices giant Johnson & Johnson ( JNJ ) was rising 2.2% to $61.79 after reporting first-quarter earnings of $1.35 a share, beating the consensus estimate of $1.26 a share.
Seagate Technology (STX) was rising 2.1% to $18.21 after saying Tuesday it would buy Samsung Electronics' hard-disk drive business for about $1.38 billion. Shares of Seagate's rival Western Digital ( WDC) also were rising, up 1.8% to $39.36 after the announcement.
Chipmaker Texas Instruments (TXN) was falling 1.6% to $34.25 in premarket trading after missing Wall Street's profit view for the March quarter and giving a lukewarm outlook.
Chipmaker Intel (INTC) was up 0.3% to $19.67 ahead of its expected first-quarter earnings report. Analysts are expecting earnings of 46 cents a share.
Computer giant IBM ( IBM ) was falling 0.2% to $165.60 ahead of its expected first-quarter earnings report after the markets close Tuesday. Analysts are expecting earnings of $2.30 a share.
Internet company Yahoo! ( YHOO) was flat at $16.35 ahead of its first-quarter earnings report after the markets close. Analysts, on average, are expecting earnings of 16 cents a share, according to a Thomson Reuters survey.
Technology patent company Acacia Research ( ACTG) said a subsidiary has acquired a patent for Power-Over-Ethernet technology. -- Written by Andrea Tse in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV