S&P Downgrades U.S. Outlook
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Standard & Poor's has downgraded its long-term ratings outlook on U.S. sovereign debt, citing worries about the country's mounting budget deficits.
While S&P acknowledges that the U.S. has been effective in its monetary policies, the consistent global preference for dollar over other currencies and the flexibility and diversification of the domestic economy, it proceeds with the downgrade to negative from stable because of the country's "very large" budget deficits relative to AAA peers and uncertainty over how they will be resolved.
The rating agency says there's a lack of clarity on how the U.S. government plans to address the budget deficits.
"We believe there is a material risk that U.S. policymakers might not reach an agreement on how to address medium and long-term budgetary challenges by 2013," S&P warned."If an agreement is not reached and meaningful implementation is not begun by then, this would in our view render the U.S. fiscal profile meaningfully weaker than that of peer AAA sovereigns." The rating agency affirmed its AAA long-term and A-1+ short-term sovereign credit ratings on the U.S. >>Search for Highest Dividends by Rate or Yield
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV