Gold for June delivery added $6.90 to settle at $1,492.90 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price was adding more than $9.80, according to Kitco's gold index. Prices traded as high as $1,498.60 and as low as $1,477.80. Gold for June delivery was recently trading $11.40 higher at $1,497.40
Silver prices for June delivery were surging 64 cents to $43.23.
Gold and silver had an explosive two-day rally, up 2% and 5.8%, respectively, to close out last week as investors bought gold as protection against inflation. Although prices had been trading weaker all morning, they spiked after Standard & Poor's maintained its triple-A rating for the U.S. but cut its outlook to negative, signaling that a ratings downgrade could come in the next two years. The ratings agency expressed concern that U.S. policymakers haven't addressed critical fiscal issues.
Several other economic readings offered more appeal to gold. The National Association of Home Builders' April housing market index also fell to a reading of 16, compared with market expectations that it would remain unchanged at March's level of 17. On Sunday, the
|More on Gold Gold Price News|
|How to Invest in Gold|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV