1. National Presto (NPK) has gone largely unnoticed, though, it ranks among the best small-cap dividend stocks. However, with a market value of $738 million, Presto is a little-discussed company, manufacturing small appliances, such as toasters and pressure cookers, defense products, including ammunition, and absorbent products, including diapers. Such a wide variety of seemingly unrelated products has yielded tremendous consistency. Presto has grown sales and net income 4.4% and 18%, annually, on average, over a three-year span.
No sell-side analysts cover Presto's stock, which has delivered annualized gains of 29% since 2008, but has corrected 6.2% in the past 12 months and is down 17% year-to-date. It's now fallen to attractive levels, based on peer valuation and dividend potential, trading at a trailing earnings multiple of 11, a forward earnings multiple of 10 and a book value multiple of 2.1, indicating respective discounts of 41%, 32% and 62% to industry averages. Presto has been ranked "buy" by the quantitative equity model, used by TheStreet Ratings, since April of 2009. It has returned 51% since then, excluding distributions, which are lofty.Presto pays its dividend at the end of each calendar year, declaring a regular payment and a special dividend on top. Since most screeners don't account for special dividends, it appears that Presto offers a paltry yield of 0.9%, which only accounts for the annual $1 payment from the company. In reality, the yield is upwards of 7%. The distribution has grown 25% and 31%, annually, over a three- and five-year span, respectively. The payout has steadily climbed from $2.45, in 2008, to $7.25, in 2011. The last dividend translated to a yield of 6.3% upon declaration. Presto has an ideal financial position, with $151 million of cash and no debt, for an ample quick ratio of 3.6.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV