This week, the government is selling $66 billion in Treasury notes. On Tuesday, $32 billion in new, three-year notes were sold. On Wednesday and Thursday, $21 billion and $13 billion in ten-year and 30-year reopenings were sold. In a security reopening, the U.S. Treasury issues additional amounts of a previously issued security.
PowerShares 1-30 Laddered Treasury ETF (PLW) was rising 0.2% to $27.53, ProShares UltraShort 7-10 Year Treasury (PST) was falling 0.1% to $42, SPDR Barclays Capital International Treasury Bond ETF (BWX) was up 0.2% to $60.45 and ProShares Ultra 7-10 Year Treasury ETF (UST) was up 0.5% to $80.60.
A report from fixed-income technology firm BondDesk Group says that Treasury yields decreased substantially during the first half of March as investors sought shelter amid the dual crises of the Libyan military conflict and the tragedy in Japan. "During times of global financial distress, U.S. Treasuries are typically seen as a safe haven," the report said.
But during the second half of the month, Treasury yields began to reverse themselves as the United Nations took over military operations in Libya and the scope of the damage in Japan was better understood, according to the BondDesk Group report.>>Search for Highest Dividends by Rate or Yield
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV