The UK pound sterling was rising 0.3% against the dollar to $1.6324 and 0.4% against the euro to EUR 1.1309.
The United Kingdom's consumer confidence index rebounded to 44 in March from a record-low of 39 in a month ago.
But in the coming days, "the pound-dollar should continue to trend sideways going into the following week, and the majority of the MPC (Monetary Policy Committee) is likely to retain a neutral tone for future policy as the ongoing weakness in the real economy bears down on price growth," predicted Daily FX currency analyst David Song.
The Bank of England's policy meeting minutes is scheduled for release on Apr. 20.CurrencyShares British Pound Sterling Trust (FXB) was rising 0.4% to $162.21 and CurrencyShares Euro Trust (FXE) was trading sideways at $143.80. PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bullish (UUP) was falling 0.1% to $21.47.
U.S. Treasury notes were rising Thursday morning on negative economic news. The two-year note was rising 0/32, pushing the yield down to 0.730%, the ten-year note was adding 4/32, lowering the yield to 3.443% and the 30-year bond was advancing 6/32, pushing the yield down to 4.533%. The number of Americans filing new unemployment claims rose significantly more than expected last week, the Labor Department said early Thursday. Prices at the wholesale level ticked higher in March, as rising energy prices exerted pressure on finished goods prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV