Natural gas storage levels rose 28 Bcf (billion cubic feet) to 1,607 Bcf as of Friday, Apr. 8. Analysts polled by Bloomberg thought levels would rise 35 Bcf.
In addition, inventory was 137 Bcf less than that from a year ago.
"This is largely technical, and not a massive and sudden tightening of supply," a Gelber & Associates report said.
Nevertheless, "it forced many to make a decision today, driving the contract well past the $4.219 100-day moving average that has topped the recent price clus-ter." The report said if natural gas futures can break that technical barrier, there may be more short covering into the weekend. "Should we close below, look for some selling tomorrow."Natural gas plays were trading in mixed territory. Westport Innovations (WPRT) was losing 1.6% to $24.80, Fuel Systems Solutions (FSYS) was adding 0.8% to $27.97, Devon Energy (DVN) was falling 0.2% to $87.55, Newfield Exploration (NFX) was losing 1.2% to $69.86, Cheniere Energy (CQP) was unchanged at $18.27 and Kinder Morgan Energy Partners LP (KMP) was up 1.2% to $75.19.
(Published at 1:32 pm) Wheat futures were tumbling on weather forecasts, better Russian and Ukrainian wheat production levels and profit taking in commodities.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV