NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Most U.S. retail investors may be blissfully unaware of the fact, but the imminent public offering of Swiss commodities behemoth Glencore International AG is one of the most hotly-anticipated deals on Wall Street at the moment.
Many observers are comparing Glencore to Goldman Sachs (GS). Both firms are huge, intensely secretive and powerful, and populated by world-class trading talent. Both spent decades building themselves into leaders in their respective industries before eventually taking themselves public.
In the latest blow to the pride of those Americans who like to think of their country as the center of the financial universe, Glencore's IPO will list in London and Hong Kong, according to a company announcement Thursday. The listing is expected to value the company at $60 billion, but it will only be raising $10 billion to $12 billion.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV