2. The Valspar Corp.
Shares of The Valspar Corp. (VAL) of Minneapolis closed at $33.81, down 1% year-to-date. Based on a quarterly payout of 18 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 2.13%.
The company manufactures coatings, paints and related products. The Coatings segment provides coatings for metal, wood and plastic primarily to manufacturers worldwide. The Paints segment provides paint products under its own brand and private label brands through wholesale and retail distributors in the U.S. and Canada.For the fiscal first quarter ended January 28, Valspar reported net income of $33.4 million, or 34 cents a share, down slightly from $33.9 million, or 34 cents a share, a year earlier. Net sales for the first fiscal quarter were $842.4 million, increasing 25% year-over-year. The consensus estimates are for the company to earn $2.57 a share in fiscal 2011 and $2.89 a share in fiscal 2012. On April 5, Dmitry Silversteyn of Longbow Research reiterated his neutral rating on Valspar, saying the company's "gross margins are likely to remain down," because of an increase in raw material costs, and that the shares "may be range-bound in the short- to mid-term until raw material price pressures are alleviated and gross margins begin to comp positively on a year/year basis. Out of 12 analysts covering Valspar, three rate the shares a buy, eight have neutral ratings and one analyst recommends selling the shares.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV