5. Hawkins, Inc.
Shares of Hawkins, Inc. (HWKN) of Minneapolis closed at $39.90 Tuesday, down 9% year-to-date.
The company distributes bulk chemicals and blends. Its industrial segment distributes various chemicals and manufactures bleach and agricultural products mainly for customers in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and North and South Dakota, while distributing food-grade products nationally. The water treatment segment provides chemicals, and equipment via delivery routes, serving customers in Midwestern states, as well as in Montana and Wyoming.CEO John Hawkins passed away on March 11, and Patrick Hawkins - an 18-year employee of the company - was named as the new CEO. On January 14, Hawkins acquired Vertex Chemical -- a manufacturer of sodium hypochlorite -- for $25.5 million. For the fiscal third quarter ended December 31, Hawkins reported net income of $4.3 million, or 41 cents a share, declining from $5.6 million, or 54 cents a share a year earlier. Despite a 16.5% increase in sales year-over-year to $70.6 million in the fiscal third quarter, profit declined because of a rise in raw material costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV