5. Hawkins, Inc.
Shares of Hawkins, Inc. (HWKN) of Minneapolis closed at $39.90 Tuesday, down 9% year-to-date.
The company distributes bulk chemicals and blends. Its industrial segment distributes various chemicals and manufactures bleach and agricultural products mainly for customers in Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, and North and South Dakota, while distributing food-grade products nationally. The water treatment segment provides chemicals, and equipment via delivery routes, serving customers in Midwestern states, as well as in Montana and Wyoming.CEO John Hawkins passed away on March 11, and Patrick Hawkins - an 18-year employee of the company - was named as the new CEO. On January 14, Hawkins acquired Vertex Chemical -- a manufacturer of sodium hypochlorite -- for $25.5 million. For the fiscal third quarter ended December 31, Hawkins reported net income of $4.3 million, or 41 cents a share, declining from $5.6 million, or 54 cents a share a year earlier. Despite a 16.5% increase in sales year-over-year to $70.6 million in the fiscal third quarter, profit declined because of a rise in raw material costs.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV