The second largest bank by assets reported a 67% growth in profits, but revenue was on the lighter side. Analysts had been hoping for a pickup in loan growth, but except for the commercial banking segment, which saw a 7% increase in loans over the corresponding previous quarter, all other segments saw lower loan balances.
The dim revenue outlook and continuing problems associated with its mortgage businesses -- the bank reported a $1.1 billion provision for credit losses arising from its real estate portfolios and a loss of $1.1 billion for the impact of increased servicing costs on the fair value of the firm's mortgage servicing rights asset, among other charges -- dampened expectation for solid earnings reports from Bank of America (BAC), due to report on April 15, and Citigroup (C) and Wells Fargo (WFC), which report next week.
In addition, JPMorgan CEO Jamie Dimon said
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV