The following commentary comes from an independent investor or market observer as part of TheStreet's guest contributor program, which is separate from the company's news coverage.
NEW YORK ( InvestorPlace) -- Some of the hottest penny stocks to buy now are in the biotech sector. Start-ups and early-phase biotechnology companies can provide explosive profit potential for investors who are in on the ground floor of a game-changing medical technology or blockbuster drug.
That said, finding hot penny stocks in the biotech sector is no easy task. There are lots of micro-caps and pink sheet stocks out there that wreak havoc on the portfolios of penny stock investors. But buying penny stocks doesn't have to be an all-out gamble -- by screening for investments with a decent market cap ($100 million or more) and a listing on a major exchange, you can find ultracheap stocks that are very fast movers but considerably less risky.
Here are my favorite four biotech penny stocks to buy now:YM BioSciences (YMI): The first stock on the list is biopharmaceutical company YM BioSciences, which develops products for the treatment of cancer. In the last 12 months, YMI stock has gained 63%. More recently, YMI is up 8% year to date and is trading near its 52-week high of $2.52. Zalicus (ZLCS): Since the start of 2011, has watched its stock value rise 44%, compared with much smaller gains by the broader markets. This biopharmaceutical company, which focuses on the treatment of pain and inflammation, has experienced stock growth of 70% since last April. Buy this stock with a 52-week range of $1.01 to $2.72. Zalicus is one of InvestorPlace.com's 10 Best Stocks for 2011. AEterna Zentaris (AEZS): Drug development company AEterna Zentaris specializes in oncology and endocrine therapy. Since the start of 2011, this penny stock has raised its stock value 8%. Investors are even more thrilled to see 52-week growth of 87%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV