NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The July coffee contract price was popping 2.4% to $2.8365 a pound and July cocoa was rising 0.6% to $3,074 a metric ton on supply concerns and political unrest, respectively.
Cocoa popped on violent power struggles in the world's biggest cocoa producing country, the Ivory Coast, while coffee took off on lower-than-expected exports from Uganda, the second-largest African exporter. The Uganda Coffee Development Authority has lowered its export figure by 16% to 2.6 million bags in the year ending Sept. 30 from the previously expected 3.1 million bags, due to drought.
PFG Best analyst Robin Rosenberg said recently that ICE exchange (InterContinental Exchange) coffee stocks remain at low levels. "In fact they have decreased twenty eight months in a row."
Shares of coffee chain Starbucks (SBUX) were rising 0.8% to $36.04, roaster Peet's Coffee & Tea (PEET) was rising 1.2% to $47.17, K-Cup maker Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) was falling 1.5% to $65.82 and Maxwell House maker Kraft (KFT) was adding 0.4% to $32.28.Candy company Hershey (HSY) was rising 0.5% to $56.59.
Despite reports of weakening fundamental support, cotton caught the wave of the commodities upswing Wednesday, before retreating.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV