6 Health-Care Stocks for 2011: Fund Managers
Zagunis thinks demographic trends should support Stryker (SYK), a knee- and hip-implant specialist, as the American population gets older. "The addition with Stryker is that they have a remarkably strong balance sheet with over $10 in cash per share on their balance sheet and no debt. They also have expansion plans that support performance in the next several years."
Liss agrees with the "aging of America" argument, but prefers Zimmer (ZMH) to Stryker.
"They are both good companies, but we are more disposed to Zimmer because they are more of the pure play on orthopedics," Liss says. "They have 75% of their business coming from hips and knees. They have a very good balance sheet and a good market-share position. And we think they are going to benefit from the new health-care law as more people gain eligibility and can utilize those products."
As for the specter of so-called "ObamaCare" that weighed on the sector throughout 2010, Liss believes UnitedHealth Group (UNH) could actually stand to benefit as the new legislation takes effect."It's actually going to be pretty good for UnitedHealth coming out of this because they are going to have a lot of opportunity to get new lives under their care," Liss says. "We are talking about 30 million people who will most likely be insured going out to 2019. It will start to pick up in 2014 when the major provisions of the health-care law kick in." He adds, "They have a great market-share position in Medicare Advantage, and the cuts there have been overblown. They have been able to manage through that pretty well." >>To see these stocks in action, visit the 6 Health-Care Stocks for 2011 portfolio on Stockpickr.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV