Editor's note: As part of our partnership with PBS's Nightly Business Report, TheStreet's Gregg Greenberg joined NBR on Tuesday (watch video and read transcript) to discuss the prognosis for health-care stocks in 2011.
Health-care stocks barely budged last year as concern over new legislation and a widespread preference for growth stocks left them out of the broader equity-market rally. But with the sector already outpacing the S&P 500 in 2011 -- racking up first-quarter returns of 6.3%, second only to energy stocks -- two fund managers believe this year will be different.
"Because the sector lagged in 2010, it sets itself up with some great risk/rewards," says Michael Liss, manager of the American Century Value Fund (TWVLX). "The valuations are cheap, and we think the fear over the new health-care law is overblown. Put this all together, and we think they are going to have some movement in 2011 to reflect some better fundamentals."
Liss is bullish on Pfizer (PFE), which he thinks will benefit from its acquisition of Wyeth.
"The Wyeth merger presents them with some great opportunities to take out some costs," Liss says. "Moreover, they have some interesting drugs in the pipeline. They have a drug for rheumatoid arthritis, which we think will get through its Phase III trials and get approved by the FDA. And they also have a lung cancer drug, which is another big opportunity."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV