NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Shares of small-caps were under pressure on Monday amid broad market weakness. Still, a handful of stocks still managed to garner investor interest.
Identive Technologies (INVE), which operates in the radio frequency identification systems (RFID) space, saw its shares more than double to $5.72.
ACiG Technology, a supplier and distributor of RFID products and a business unit of Identive Group announced that is has been selected as the exclusive supplier of near field communication RFID stickers for the roll out of Google's marketing campaign for Google Places in Austin, Texas. The NFC stickers are manufactured by ACiG's sister company, Smartag. Over 12 million shares changed hands by Monday afternoon.
Shares of nursing home operator Skilled Healthcare (SKH) were climbing 8% to $15.16 after it said late Monday that it was exploring strategic alternatives, including putting itself up for sale.AVI Pharma (AVII) was another stock gaining in the biotech space, rising 4.3% to $1.68 after Piper Jaffray initiated coverage on the stock with an overweight rating and a $3.50 price target on the stock. Airline stocks were gaining on Monday on the back of a retreat in crude oil prices. Shares of AMR (AMR), parent of American Airlines, was up 2.7% to $5.92. US Airways (LCC) saw its stock add 3.7% to $8.54. Shares of JetBlue Airways (JBLU) was ahead by 2%. Exelixis (EXEL) was a standout performer in the pharmaceutical space, climbing 2.5% to $11.37. According to a Bloomberg news report, the company is said to be hiring Goldman Sachs to prepare for potential takeovers after its experimental prostate cancer drug performed well in a study. -- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV