6. ESSA Bancorp
Shares of ESSA Bancorp (ESSA) of Stroudsburg, Pa., closed at $12.63 Friday, down 1% from a year earlier. With a quarterly payout of 5 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 1.58%.
Based on a consensus price target of $15.50, the shares have 23% upside potential.The company had $1.1 billion in total assets as of December 31, with 18 offices in Monroe, Northampton and Lehigh Counties, in Pennsylvania ESSA Bancorp earned $1 million, or 9 cents a share, during its first fiscal quarter ended December 31. For fiscal 2010, ended September 30, the company earned $4.5 million, or 36 cents a share. The consensus earnings estimates are 35 cents a share in fiscal 2011 and 37 cents a share in fiscal 2012. After the fiscal first-quarter results were announced, Laurie Hunsicker of Stifel Nicolaus reiterated her buy rating for ESSA Bancorp with a price target of $16, saying that based on tangible book value, the shares were trading at a "discount relative to its Mid-Atlantic community bank peer group," and that ESSA was a "clean, over-capitalized bank that [would] continue to return capital to shareholders via dividends along with a solid share repurchase policy." Both analysts covering ESSA Bancorp rate the shares a buy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV