Intervest Bancshares Corporation (NASDAQ-GS: IBCA), parent company of Intervest National Bank, today reported its financial results for the first quarter of 2011.
- Net earnings for the first quarter of 2011 ("Q1-11") amounted to $1.7 million, or $0.08 per diluted common share, compared to a net loss of $2.9 million, or $0.35 per share, for the same quarter a year ago ("Q1-10") and net earnings of $0.4 million, or $0.02 per share, for the fourth quarter of 2010 ("Q4-10").
- Pre-tax earnings before deducting provisions for loan and real estate losses and real estate expenses amounted to $6.3 million in Q1-11, compared to $8.3 million in Q1-10 and $6.6 million in Q4-10.
- Net interest margin for Q1-11 was 2.14%, compared to 2.23% in Q1-10 and 2.06% in Q4-10.
- Nonaccrual loans and real estate owned totaled $72 million at March 31, 2011, down 10% from $80 million at December 31, 2010 and 53% from $154 million at March 31, 2010. New non-accrual loans decreased to $5 million in Q1-11, down from $26 million in Q1-10 and $15 million in Q4-10.
- The total provision for loan and real estate losses decreased to $2.0 million for Q1-11, down substantially from $11.6 million in Q1-10 and $4.7 million in Q4-10. The allowance for loan losses amounted to 2.49% of total outstanding loans at March 31, 2011, compared to 2.61% at December 31, 2010 and 1.73% at March 31, 2010.
- Noninterest expense amounted to $4.4 million in Q1-11, down from $4.7 million in Q1-10 and $4.9 million in Q4-10. The Company's efficiency ratio, which is a measure of its ability to control expenses as a percentage of its revenues, was 41% in Q1-11, 42% in Q4-10 and 36% in Q1-10.
- Intervest National Bank's regulatory capital ratios continued to improve and were well in excess of the minimums that the Bank has agreed with its regulator to maintain. At March 31, 2011, the Bank's actual ratios were as follows: total capital to risk-weighted assets – 14.81%; Tier 1 capital to risk-weighted assets – 13.55%; and Tier 1 capital to total average assets (leverage ratio) – 10.04%. The Bank's minimum required capital ratios are 12%, 10% and 9%, respectively.
- Common book value per share increased to $7.69 at March 31, 2011 from $7.61 at December 31, 2010.
Net earnings for Q1-11 increased by $4.6 million over Q1-10 due to a $9.6 million decrease in the total provision for loan and real estate losses (reflecting fewer problem assets and credit rating downgrades), a $0.6 million decrease in real estate expenses (reflecting less real estate owned) and a $0.3 million decrease in noninterest expenses (primarily due to lower data processing costs). The aggregate of these items was partially offset by a $2.1 million decrease in net interest and dividend income, a $0.2 million decrease in noninterest income and a $3.6 million increase in tax expense (resulting from pre-tax income in Q1-11 versus a pre-tax loss in Q1-10).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV