MILPITAS, Calif., April 12, 2011 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Marking SunPower's (Nasdaq: SPWRA, SPWRB) continued U.S. growth and investment, U.S. Energy Secretary Steven Chu and Governor Edmund G. Brown, Jr. will join the company and its partner Flextronics (Nasdaq: FLEX) today in dedicating a new solar panel manufacturing facility in Milpitas, Calif. The Flextronics plant has created more than 100 jobs and will produce 75 megawatts (MW) per year of solar power panels for rooftops and power plants.
Leading the Nation on Renewable Power
During the dedication event, Governor Brown will sign into law California's expanded Renewable Portfolio Standard (RPS) which will ensure that California customers are served with 33 percent renewable energy by 2020. The RPS legislation was sponsored by State Senator Joe Simitian (D- Palo Alto) and passed the legislature as part of a special session focused on economic development.
Economic Footprint Across the Country"Strong public policy at both the federal and state levels is paying off with job creation and capital investments from our equipment manufacturers to our dealers that install SunPower systems on homes and businesses across the U.S. and around the world," said SunPower CEO Tom Werner. "We make the world's highest efficiency solar panels with technology developed in Silicon Valley and can now compete with new gas-fired power plants. With the dedication of our solar panel manufacturing facility in partnership with Flextronics, Governor Brown's signing of California's 33 percent Renewable Portfolio Standard and the Department of Energy's SunShot program, we can invest further to make solar competitive with all power sources, lowering long-term energy costs for all customers." SunPower, founded more than 25-years ago, is headquartered in Silicon Valley and is the number one manufacturer of installed residential and commercial solar systems in the U.S. With operations on four continents, SunPower delivers the highest efficiency and most reliable solar panels and systems on the market today. Since 2005, SunPower has created thousands of jobs and is injecting billions of dollars into the American economy.
- 1,000 employed in SunPower offices and related facilities in San Jose, Richmond, and Milpitas California, and a recently announced expansion in Austin, Texas.
- 6,000 plus are indirectly employed at more than 400 independent SunPower dealers in more than 300 cities across 41 states.
- 23 parts suppliers/manufacturers are headquartered in 33 cities across 19 states.
- Four manufacturers provided equipment for the new Milpitas plant from Ore., Colo., Ill. and Pa.
- 570 large-scale systems in 25 states generating approximately 370 MW of solar power.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV