Whole Foods Market® Replaces Red-rated Swordfish And Tuna With Sustainable Seafood Options
"We've heard from many shoppers that these ratings have been a wake-up call," said Conner Herrick, seafood team leader in Whole Foods Market's Austin, Texas flagship store. "Shoppers have said that the visibility of the ratings at the seafood counter have provided a level of transparency that has helped them quickly zero in on the most sustainable items to purchase."
Remaining red-rated wild-caught seafood will be phased out of Whole Foods Market stores by Earth Day 2012 with the exception of Atlantic cod and sole, which will have an extension until Earth Day 2013.
Whole Foods Market's wild-caught seafood rating program and partnerships complement its existing farmed seafood standards, which remain the highest in the industry. The company requires third-party audits and traceability from farm to market and prohibits use of antibiotics, added growth hormones, added preservatives like sulfites and phosphates, genetically-modified seafood and land animal by-products in feed. Farmed seafood at Whole Foods Market carries the "Responsibly Farmed" logo to indicate it meets these high standards.
For a video demonstrating a day boat fishing using handlines, visit youtube.com/watch?v=jVi5SRP2Iqs. For photos, b-roll and other videos, and links, please visit wholefoodsmarket.com/pressroom/seafoodrankings.Contact: Ashley Hawkins, Whole Foods Market(512) 542-0381 Ashley.Hawkins@wholefoods.com SOURCE Whole Foods Market
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV