10 Celebrity 'Fake-Out' Retirements
"I hope I die before I get old."
OK, it's a cheap shot to hold The Who to an oft-quoted lyric from the song "My Generation." It is also a dig many have been able to take, because the band refuses to shut off their amps and pack up.
Long before The Who took the stage for one of the lamest Super Bowl halftime shows in recent memory (one may have to think back to Elvis Presto's 3-D card trick back in 1989 to find one more cringe-worthy), the band had announced it was retiring.In 1982, after the release of the album It's Hard and Townsend's rehab from heroin use, the band announced a farewell tour. By 1985, however, they snuck back onstage as part of the charity Live Aid concert. By 1989, they were on the road again to celebrate their 25th anniversary. Despite the death of bassist John Entwistle in 2002, Townsend and Daltrey have continued to play live, including a European tour in 2004. In recent weeks, amid rumors of yet another Who tour, Daltrey is once again talking up retirement, telling interviewers that he sees, at best, two or three more years of rock 'n' roll for him before pursuing the more serene life of an artist. We'll believe it when the last guitar is smashed.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV