So goes technology, so goes the economy -- or at least that is the saying. Cisco (CSCO), which has disappointed investors over the last few reporting periods, was in the news recently with a proclamation from its CEO that he will turn the company around.
What is interesting with the rare look behind the curtain of a major technology company is the timing of the release. Cisco is not due to report earnings for the current period ending April 30 until May. Could it be that the CEO is worried about another poor quarterly performance?That would be my assessment, but far be it for me to know more than the market. There the news was greeted with a surge of buying of Cisco shares, sending the price higher. I would have expected an opposite reaction. Related: 5 Cisco Alternatives With Upside The company is expected to make a profit of 37 cents per share for the current period. Given the concern at the highest levels of management and demands for better performance, I would be worried about that estimate. In fact, I think it is a safe bet that the company will miss that number. While the forthcoming changes may be refreshing and beneficial to shareholders, expect more pain in the short run. Cisco, one of David Tepper's top tech stocks in the fourth quarter, shows up on a recent list of S&P 500 stocks with big insider buying and selling as well as 4 Cheap Dividend Stocks With 25% Upside and 40 Stocks Analysts Are Insanely Bullish About. -- Written by Jamie Dlugosch in Minneapolis.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook. To see these stocks in action, check out the 5 Stocks to Keep an Eye on During Earnings Season.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV