One industry that has not performed very well in 2011 is the airline group. Inflation in oil prices has negatively impacted the sector, sending stocks in the space lower across the board. The speculation is that higher oil prices will result in lower profits.
Delta Airlines (DAL) started the year trading at $12.69 per share. Today the stock trades for less than $10, at around $9.30 per share. That is a decline of more than 25%. Ouch!In my opinion, the market is taking the path of least resistance with respect to airline stocks. It is far too easy to sell the stocks when oil prices are trading above $100 per barrel. Dig a bit deeper and I think a far different conclusion can be found. Analysts expect Delta to post a loss of 40 cents a share for the current quarter, but a profit of $1.48 a share for the full year. Given that airlines have been able to raise prices in this period, I would suggest that the numbers will be better than expected. Look for a snap back rally in these stocks including Delta. One high-profile Delta Bull is George Soros -- in fact, in the most recently reported period, Soros Fund Management increased its position in the stock by nearly 300%, earning it a spot on a list of 8 Top George Soros Stock Buys.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV