BOSTON ( TheStreet) -- Chinese reverse merger companies, already under the microscope of the Securities and Exchange Commission, are now coming under scrutiny from Interactive Brokers (IBKR) as the online brokerage is subjecting these stocks to increased margin requirements.
Interactive Brokers alerted customers to the new margin requirements on Friday, saying certain securities of companies formed by a reverse merger have elevated risk concerns. The margin requirement jumped to 50% Monday and will increase to 75% Tuesday and then 100% on Wednesday.
Some of the companies impacted by the new requirements include China Integrated Energy (CBEH), Gulf Resources (GFRE), Deer Consumer Products (DEER), Orient Paper (ONP) and Puda Coal (PUDA). In total, 47 companies are subject to the new margin requirements.
Trading on margin occurs when someone borrows money from a broker to purchase securities or sells a security short. Investors offer up other securities as collateral, which are deposited in a margin account. As Interactive Brokers is increasing the margin requirement on reverse-merger stocks to 100%, the implication is that the brokerage is now pricing in the worst-case scenario for many of these stocks.After first coming under fire from short-sellers who stood to gain on a decline in share price, Chinese reverse mergers are now being probed by the SEC. Some Chinese small-cap stocks have plummeted as much as 75% this year, felled by the resignation of auditors to the restatement of earnings to fraud accusations by short-sellers.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV