8. Verizon (VZ) owns 55% of Verizon Wireless, the largest mobile-telecom network in the U.S.
In the past 12 months, Verizon's sales have declined 0.9%, but net income and earnings per share have ascended just over 2%. Verizon's fourth-quarter net margin came in at 10%. The company suffered a loss in the year-earlier quarter. The company posted 2010 sales of $107 billion and pre-tax income of nearly $13 billion. Verizon received a $709 million current tax benefit from the U.S., but deferred $2.9 billion for future taxes. It enjoyed a $19 million current international tax benefit and a $24 million deferred tax benefit. On the local level, Verizon received a $42 million current tax benefit. Verizon had an effective 2010 tax rate of 19%, up from 14% in 2009.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV