NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- LJ International (JADE), G-III Apparel Group (GIII) and China Xiniya Fashion (XNY) are among eight consumer stocks with potential upside ranging between 13% to 80% in the next 12 months, according to analysts polled by Bloomberg.
Consumer spending, which accounts for 70% of overall economic activity in the U.S., now fuels a major portion of economic growth. During March 2011, daily consumer spending in stores, restaurants, gas stations, and online averaged $64 per day as compared to $61 in February and $58 in January. Broadly, upper income spending averaged around $108 per day in March against $99 in the same month a year ago.
Additionally, consumer credit for February increased at an annual rate of 3.8%, the fifth consecutive monthly rally. Total consumer borrowing in February rose to $2,419.6 billion from $2,412 billion recorded in January.
Statistics from the National Retail Foundation show the retail industry sales growing at 4% from 2010 levels, led by a better-than-expected holiday season and strong sales growth. The data show that retailers who are able to grow volumes by ensuring footfall, cutting costs and warding off competition will have the competitive advantage. Moreover, with 2010 ending on strong comparable store sales for most retailers, the stage is set for growth in 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV