Ticonderoga Securities analyst Brian White, currently visiting tech companies in Taiwan and China, says yes.
"We are increasingly becoming suspicious around continued reports of a delayed iPhone 5 launch into September/October versus the typical June/July time frame," he wrote in a research note Friday.
|Will the iPhone 5 be delayed? No one really knows.|
With Apple apparently eschewing its traditional June iPhone launch, speculation abounds that the device may not appear until the fall.White, however, is not convinced. "There is a pattern of activity in motion within the supply chain that makes us question a delayed launch," he wrote. "We believe Apple is keeping its iPhone 5 cards extra close to the vest on this launch to avoid a falloff in iPhone 4 demand ahead of a refresh, especially given the February launch of the CDMA iPhone 4 with Verizon (VZ) ." Apple has given little indication of its iPhone 5 launch plans. The press release for its June Worldwide Developers' Conference (WWDC), typically an iPhone event, makes no reference to new hardware. "At this year's conference we are going to unveil the future of iOS and Mac OS," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, in the statement. Concerns about an iPhone 5 delay as well as the Nasdaq's recent decision to cut its Apple weighting, have pressured the company's shares. Apple's stock is down 7% since its all-time high of $363 in February, slowing its meteoric rise of the last few years. It has been suggested that a delayed iPhone 5, coupled with increasing competition from Google (GOOG) Android phones, could prove problematic for Apple's market share.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV