2. Bank of America (BAC) is a diversified financial services company, with investment-, commercial- and retail-banking operations.
Left for dead during the financial crisis, its stock has more than tripled since the March 2009 market low. In recent quarters, ongoing mortgage woes and credit write-downs have hampered performance. Most recently, management's request to boost its dividend was denied by the Federal Reserve, indicating that Bank of America is still viewed as a troubled institution and needs to raise further capital and work through ongoing housing market issues on the liability side. The stock has tumbled 27% in 12 months.Recent news flow has been undeniably negative for Bank of America, providing an opportunity for value-oriented investors to initiate positions, in Credit Suisse's view. Credit Suisse expects the stock to advance 47% to $20. The consensus on Wall Street is that Bank of America's equity is undervalued. It currently sells for 7.6-times forward earnings, 0.6-times book value, 1-times sales and just 1.7-times cash flow, representing discounts of 32%, 37%, 42% and 69%, respectively. Currently, 54% of researchers in coverage advise purchasing shares and the remainder recommend holding them. Bank of America is scheduled to report fourth quarter results April 15.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV