NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- China Marine Food Group (CMFO), Yuhe International (YUII), China New Borun (BORN), Feihe International (ADY), Zhongpin (HOGS), Inventure Foods (SNAK), Pilgrim's Pride (PPC), Tyson Foods (TSN), General Mills (GIS) and Kraft Foods (KFT) are food stocks with up to 172% upside, based on analysts' consensus estimates of 12-month price targets.
According to the Food and Agriculture Organization, food prices witnessed unprecedented spikes worldwide in the last year. The FAO Food Price Index rose 37% since March 2010. Analysts do not foresee any reprieve from the present levels.
David Hallam, Director of FAO's Trade and Market Division, cautions, "Low stock levels, the implications for oil prices of events in the Middle East and North Africa and the effects of the destruction in Japan all make for continuing uncertainty and price volatility over the coming months."
Given this scenario, the following 10 food stocks offer attractive returns. With analysts' buy ratings of 25%-100%, these 10 food stocks are expected to have a mean upside value of 63% over the next 12 months, according to analysts polled by Bloomberg.Although stocks such as Kellogg (K) and ConAgra Foods (CAG) have a higher number of buy ratings, we did not include them as they have upsides of less than 5%. The 10 stocks listed here are ordered from high to highest, based on potential upside.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV